Sri Lanka Cricket to have elections in March
Colombo: Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) is set to hold elections for a new set of a office-bearers during its Annual General Meeting at the end of next month.
"The annual general meeting is scheduled to take place on the 30 March 2013. The final date for nominations will be the February 28," a release said.
This year`s elections have aroused much interest with speculation that incumbent Upali Dharmadasa might find a challenge coming for the post of Chairman by his own brother Jayantha Dharmadasa.
In such a scenario, Upali Dharmadasa is expected to step down in favour of his older brother, SLC sources said.
Upali Dharmadasa was elected uncontested in last year`s election which was the first to elect office bearers since 2004. Since 2005 the SLC was managed by a string of politically-appointed interim committees.
Jayantha Dharmadasa was one such interim committee chairman. The practise of appointing interim committees was scrapped last year in the light of tough regulations coming from the ICC which advocated that local administration of the game must be run devoid of politics.
World Cup-winning former captain Arjuna Ranatunga, who was a former interim chairman himself, is also said to be interested in running for the top post. His chances look slim given his current position as an opposition legislator.
Sri Lanka Cricket is currently undergoing a major revamp with batting great Sanath Jayasuriya taking over as the chairman of a brand new selection panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation