Sri Lanka dominate with Sangakkara double-ton
Chittagong: Kumar Sangakkara hit his ninth double-century as Sri Lanka continued to dominate Bangladesh`s bowlers in the second Test in Chittagong on Wednesday.
The tourists, who won the first Test by an innings and 248 runs in Dhaka last week, took their overnight score of 314-5 to 440-7 by lunch on the second day at the Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury stadium.
Left-handed Sangakkara was unbeaten on 223, adding another double hundred to his 34 three-figure knocks. Australian legend Don Bradman leads the list with 12 scores of 200 or more.
Sangakkara, a 36-year-old playing his 122nd Test, reached 200 with a boundary off Mohammad Mahmudullah which also brought up the 400 of the innings.
He has so far hit 25 boundaries and three sixes. Ajantha Mendis kept him company at lunch on 13.
Overnight batsman Kithuruwan Vithanage helped Sangakkara add 90 for the sixth wicket when the hosts hit back twice in successive overs.
Vithanage, who scored a maiden Test century in Dhaka, was given out leg-before to Nasir Hossain for 35 even as television replays showed an inside edge off the bat. The Decision Review System is not being used for the series.
In the next over, Shakib Al Hasan dismissed Dilruwan Perera leg-before as Sri Lanka slipped from 402-5 to 405-7.
Left-arm spinner Shakib was Bangladesh`s most successful bowler with three wickets for 90 runs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir