Sri Lanka fight back to restrict Pakistan`s lead
Abu Dhabi: Sri Lanka`s pace and spin attack fought back Thursday to grab Pakistan`s last six wickets cheaply on the third morning of the first Test and restrict them to 383.
Pakistan, resuming on 327-4, had eyed a massive lead over Sri Lanka`s first-innings 204 but had to settle for a still-useful 179-run advantage.
All three Sri Lankan pacemen grabbed a wicket each in the morning and spinner Rangana Herath finished with 3-93 at Abu Dhabi`s Sheikh Zayed Stadium.
At lunch the Sri Lankan openers Dimuth Karunaratne (two) and Kaushal Silva (nought) had negotiated one over from Junaid Khan without trouble.
Paceman Shaminda Eranga, who finished with 3-80 and Suranga Lakmal, with 2-99, led Sri Lanka`s fightback.
Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul Haq ended on 135 after resuming on 105. He hit 16 boundaries and a six off 306 balls before being last man out, caught at long-off off spinner Herath.
In all Misbah batted for 425 minutes and his 218-run partnership with Younis Khan (136) on Wednesday set Pakistan on track for their big lead.
Pakistan lost overnight batsman Asad Shafiq (13) in the fourth over of the day Thursday. He flicked Lakmal to Silva, who took another smart catch at square-leg.
Eranga then accounted for wicketkeeper Adnan Akmal for six before Bilawal Bhatti (14) helped his skipper add 27 for the seventh wicket.
Angelo Mathews accounted for Bhatti before Herath dismissed Saeed Ajmal and Rahat Ali off consecutive deliveries to restrict Pakistan`s lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27