Sri Lanka fight to save first Test against Pakistan
Abu Dhabi: Sri Lanka were left fighting to save the first Test against Pakistan on the third day in Abu Dhabi on Thursday, still trailing by 108 runs at tea.
Opener Dimuth Karunaratne was bowled by paceman Junaid Khan for 24. Kaushal Silva (32) and Kumar Sangakkara (14) were at the crease as Sri Lanka reached 71-1 at tea, having started their second innings with a 179-run deficit.
Pakistan were bowled out for 383 an over before lunch, after Sri Lanka had set a first innings total of 204. Karunaratne looked steady in a 47-run start before he misjudged a delivery from Junaid and was bowled. He hit three boundaries during his 56-ball knock.
Sri Lanka will now look to the experienced Sangakkara, who hit an epic but chancy double hundred against Pakistan to draw a Test at this same venue in 2011, to notch up a big score. Sri Lanka`s pace and spin attack led the fightback in the first session as Pakistan lost their last six wickets for just 54 runs after resuming the day at 327-4.
Paceman Shaminda Eranga finished with 3-80 while left-arm spinner Rangana Herath took 3-90 -- all his three wickets coming in ten balls today. Fast bowler Suranga Lakmal grabbed 2-99.
Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul Haq scored 135. He hit 16 boundaries and a six off 306 balls before being last man out, caught at long-off off by Herath. In all, Misbah batted for 425 minutes and his 218-run partnership with Younis Khan (136) yesterday set Pakistan on track for their big lead.
Pakistan lost overnight batsman Asad Shafiq (13) in the fourth over of the day. He flicked Lakmal to Silva, who took another smart catch at square-leg. Eranga then accounted for wicketkeeper Adnan Akmal for six before Bilawal Bhatti (14) helped his skipper add 27 for the seventh wicket.
But Bhatti went to Angelo Mathews before Herath dismissed Saeed Ajmal and Rahat Ali off consecutive deliveries to restrict Pakistan`s lead. Test debutant Sachitra Senanayake, included as second spinner, went wicketless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video