Sri Lanka fight to save first Test against Pakistan
Abu Dhabi: Sri Lanka were left fighting to save the first Test against Pakistan on the third day in Abu Dhabi on Thursday, still trailing by 108 runs at tea.
Opener Dimuth Karunaratne was bowled by paceman Junaid Khan for 24. Kaushal Silva (32) and Kumar Sangakkara (14) were at the crease as Sri Lanka reached 71-1 at tea, having started their second innings with a 179-run deficit.
Pakistan were bowled out for 383 an over before lunch, after Sri Lanka had set a first innings total of 204. Karunaratne looked steady in a 47-run start before he misjudged a delivery from Junaid and was bowled. He hit three boundaries during his 56-ball knock.
Sri Lanka will now look to the experienced Sangakkara, who hit an epic but chancy double hundred against Pakistan to draw a Test at this same venue in 2011, to notch up a big score. Sri Lanka`s pace and spin attack led the fightback in the first session as Pakistan lost their last six wickets for just 54 runs after resuming the day at 327-4.
Paceman Shaminda Eranga finished with 3-80 while left-arm spinner Rangana Herath took 3-90 -- all his three wickets coming in ten balls today. Fast bowler Suranga Lakmal grabbed 2-99.
Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul Haq scored 135. He hit 16 boundaries and a six off 306 balls before being last man out, caught at long-off off by Herath. In all, Misbah batted for 425 minutes and his 218-run partnership with Younis Khan (136) yesterday set Pakistan on track for their big lead.
Pakistan lost overnight batsman Asad Shafiq (13) in the fourth over of the day. He flicked Lakmal to Silva, who took another smart catch at square-leg. Eranga then accounted for wicketkeeper Adnan Akmal for six before Bilawal Bhatti (14) helped his skipper add 27 for the seventh wicket.
But Bhatti went to Angelo Mathews before Herath dismissed Saeed Ajmal and Rahat Ali off consecutive deliveries to restrict Pakistan`s lead. Test debutant Sachitra Senanayake, included as second spinner, went wicketless.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue