Sri Lanka for Lorgat report on cricket reforms
Colombo: Sri Lanka Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage is in agreement with the former ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat`s report, which has advocated sweeping changes to the way Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) is administered and the game is managed in the island.
"We have recognised the need for reforms in the light of Sri Lanka finishing as runners up four times in a row since we won the World Cup.
"A 90 per cent of our (SLC) income is spent not on development but for player fees and payments for playing clubs. There are basic flaws in the administration and the cricketing structure," Aluthgamage said referring to Lorgat`s report.
Lorgat was employed by SLC to recommend ways to induce more professionalism into the governing body.
The Minister said that Lorgat`s report was good and he had already informed the district organisations and associations about its content.
"We want to implement the recommendations as fast as possible," Aluthgamage said.
On Lorgat`s recommendation to get rid of the SLC administration and team selections of ministerial interference, Aluthgamage said that the minister`s power as stipulated in the island`s sports law is being only implemented in theory.
"Practically what happens is that I merely approve the names sent to me. On the appointment of selectors, I pick five names out of 10 recommended to me. Team selections are the same. I have never changed a team that was sent to me," Aluthgamage said.
"We are willing to change even that and further empower associations," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Curfew, restrictions continue for 48th day in Kashmir
- Rahul Gandhi must come clean on how Mahatma Gandhi's assassin was affiliated to RSS: Vaidya
- Japanese truck driver playing Pokemon Go kills pedestrian
- `No radicalisation` in Australia stabbing death: Police
- How to get MIUI 8 update on Xiaomi smartphone: Check out tutorial