Sri Lanka for Lorgat report on cricket reforms
Colombo: Sri Lanka Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage is in agreement with the former ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat`s report, which has advocated sweeping changes to the way Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) is administered and the game is managed in the island.
"We have recognised the need for reforms in the light of Sri Lanka finishing as runners up four times in a row since we won the World Cup.
"A 90 per cent of our (SLC) income is spent not on development but for player fees and payments for playing clubs. There are basic flaws in the administration and the cricketing structure," Aluthgamage said referring to Lorgat`s report.
Lorgat was employed by SLC to recommend ways to induce more professionalism into the governing body.
The Minister said that Lorgat`s report was good and he had already informed the district organisations and associations about its content.
"We want to implement the recommendations as fast as possible," Aluthgamage said.
On Lorgat`s recommendation to get rid of the SLC administration and team selections of ministerial interference, Aluthgamage said that the minister`s power as stipulated in the island`s sports law is being only implemented in theory.
"Practically what happens is that I merely approve the names sent to me. On the appointment of selectors, I pick five names out of 10 recommended to me. Team selections are the same. I have never changed a team that was sent to me," Aluthgamage said.
"We are willing to change even that and further empower associations," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself