Sri Lanka make 288-9 against New Zealand
Hambantota: Tillakaratne Dilshan, Kumar Sangakkara and Angelo Mathews hit half-centuries as Sri Lanka scored 288-9 in the first one-day international against New Zealand in Hambantota on Sunday.
Stand-in captain Kyle Mills, who won the toss and elected to field, gave the tourists a flying start when he trapped opener Dimuth Karunaratne leg-before with the first delivery of the innings.
Dilshan and Sangakkara, however, settled in to pulverise the Black Caps during a second-wicket partnership of 137.
Sangakkara made 79 off 81 balls with nine boundaries and two sixes, while Dilshan scored 81.
Left-arm spinner Anton Devcich dealt a double blow when he removed Sangakkara and former captain Mahela Jayawardene in the space of four deliveries to reduce Sri Lanka to 139-3.
But Dilshan put on 58 for the fourth wicket with skipper Angelo Mathews, who smashed nine fours and a six in an unbeaten 74 off 64 balls.
Mills, who was named captain for the tour after regular skipper Brendon McCullum was rested, was New Zealand`s most successful bowler with three for 49.
Mitchell McClenaghan and Devcich claimed two wickets each.
The Black Caps will play three one-day internationals and two Twenty20 games on their brief tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick