Sri Lanka Premier League to go ahead without Indian players
Colombo: Despite failing to get Indian cricketers, Sri Lanka will go ahead with its inaugural Twenty 20 Premier League with Australian and Pakistani players.
The Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister, Mahindananda Aluthgamage said Lankan cricket would lose money because of the absence of Indian players, but the tournament will still be played as planned, a newspaper reports.
Fast bowlers Praveen Kumar and Munaf Patel were among 12 Indian players who were stopped by the BCCI from playing in the T20 tournament in Sri Lanka from July 19 to August 4.
The minister said the Indian board`s reluctance stemmed from media reports that a Singapore-based company with alleged links to Lalit Modi was organizing the event.
“Mr Modi is not involved in our tournament. But we have to accept India`s decision. We remain friends with India,” Aluthgamage was quoted as saying.
The Singapore-based Somerset Entertainment Ventures, who won the marketing rights for five years, have already paid an advance of almost USD 300,000 to Sri Lanka Cricket, some media reports said.
It said India`s reluctance had led a broadcaster withdrawing support for the tournament, which will feature seven teams and include a mix of local and international players.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!