Sri Lanka Premier League to go ahead without Indian players
Colombo: Despite failing to get Indian cricketers, Sri Lanka will go ahead with its inaugural Twenty 20 Premier League with Australian and Pakistani players.
The Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister, Mahindananda Aluthgamage said Lankan cricket would lose money because of the absence of Indian players, but the tournament will still be played as planned, a newspaper reports.
Fast bowlers Praveen Kumar and Munaf Patel were among 12 Indian players who were stopped by the BCCI from playing in the T20 tournament in Sri Lanka from July 19 to August 4.
The minister said the Indian board`s reluctance stemmed from media reports that a Singapore-based company with alleged links to Lalit Modi was organizing the event.
“Mr Modi is not involved in our tournament. But we have to accept India`s decision. We remain friends with India,” Aluthgamage was quoted as saying.
The Singapore-based Somerset Entertainment Ventures, who won the marketing rights for five years, have already paid an advance of almost USD 300,000 to Sri Lanka Cricket, some media reports said.
It said India`s reluctance had led a broadcaster withdrawing support for the tournament, which will feature seven teams and include a mix of local and international players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27