Sri Lanka recall Ajantha Mendis for Bangladesh Tests
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s selectors on Thursday recalled unorthodox spinner Ajantha Mendis for two Test matches in Bangladesh starting next week after keeping him out of the recent series against Pakistan.
Mendis, 28, who bowls both off-spin and leg-breaks with an unusual finger-flicking action, last played a Test during his team`s home series against Bangladesh in March 2013.
Mendis, with 64 wickets in 17 Tests, replaces off-spinner Sachithra Senanayake from the side that earlier this week drew against Pakistan 1-1 in the United Arab Emirates.
The 15-man squad, released by Sri Lanka Cricket, does not feature batsman Lahiru Thirimanne and seamer Nuwan Kulasekara, who were both injured during the Pakistan matches.
Sri Lanka, who are due to reach Bangladesh on Friday, will play two Tests, three one-day internationals and two Twenty20 games during the month-long tour.
The first Test starts in Dhaka on Monday, followed by the second in Chittagong from February 4.
The squad for the limited-overs games will be picked later.
Sri Lanka`s Test squad:
Angelo Mathews (capt), Dinesh Chandimal (vice-capt), Dimuth Karunaratne, Kaushal Silva, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene, Prasanna Jayawardene, Kithuruwan Vithanage, Rangana Herath, Dilruwan Perera, Suranga Lakmal, Shaminda Eranga, Nuwan Pradeep, Vishwa Fernando, Ajantha Mendis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details