Sri Lanka`s pioneer umpire K T Francis passes away
Colombo: Renowned Sri Lankan umpire K T Francis, who stood in islanders` inaugural Test match in 1982, has passed away after losing battle against acute diabetes, family sources said on Monday.
He was 73.
Francis died in a hospital on Sunday, they said.
A Tamil, Francis along with Herbie Felsinger officiated in Sri Lanka`s first-ever Test match against England here in February 1982.
He was a member of the ICC international panel of umpires and officiated in 25 Tests and 56 ODIs between 1982 and 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Oops! Shah Rukh Khan, Rohit Shetty friends no more?
- NASA's NEEMO 21 research mission begins, aquanauts splash down!
- Congress leader Digvijay Singh taken aback after seeing his name in Below Poverty Line list
- Gwen Stefani auditioned for 'Mr & Mrs Smith'
- WATCH: Fizz and fire! Mustafizur Rahman demolishes opposition on T20 Blast debut