Sri Lanka`s pioneer umpire K T Francis passes away
Colombo: Renowned Sri Lankan umpire K T Francis, who stood in islanders` inaugural Test match in 1982, has passed away after losing battle against acute diabetes, family sources said on Monday.
He was 73.
Francis died in a hospital on Sunday, they said.
A Tamil, Francis along with Herbie Felsinger officiated in Sri Lanka`s first-ever Test match against England here in February 1982.
He was a member of the ICC international panel of umpires and officiated in 25 Tests and 56 ODIs between 1982 and 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Rahul Gandhi on three-day visit to Amethi from Wednesday
- ChampOne C1 at Rs 501: Know how to register; flash sale starts on Friday
- Philippines stops issuing haj passports to Muslim pilgrims
- Strong typhoon Lionrock heads for Japan's northeast
- RIP Gene Wilder: Celebs mourns loss of 'funniest and sweetest energies ever'