Sri Lanka`s pioneer umpire K T Francis passes away
Colombo: Renowned Sri Lankan umpire K T Francis, who stood in islanders` inaugural Test match in 1982, has passed away after losing battle against acute diabetes, family sources said on Monday.
He was 73.
Francis died in a hospital on Sunday, they said.
A Tamil, Francis along with Herbie Felsinger officiated in Sri Lanka`s first-ever Test match against England here in February 1982.
He was a member of the ICC international panel of umpires and officiated in 25 Tests and 56 ODIs between 1982 and 1999.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding