Sri Lanka`s T20 stars could face disciplinary action
Colombo: Senior players Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara could face disciplinary action over remarks they made on arriving here after winning the ICC World T20 title.
At today`s executive committee meeting of the governing body, Sri Lanka Cricket said it has been decided to refer the matter to the SLC`s disciplinary committee, an ex-co source told PTI.
After arriving from Bangladesh, the duo had slammed SLC officials for claiming that they had found fault with the way the players announced their retirement from T20 cricket.
The two stars argued that the SLC ought to have clarified their retirement intentions from themselves before making media comments. The SLC counterargument was that the players should have informed them first and not the media.
Both players announced their retirement officially upon returning from Bangladesh. On national team coach Paul Farbrace`s issue - he is reported leaving the Sri Lanka job - ex-co sources said the matter was deferred and a decision could be taken tomorrow.
The ex-co met Farbrace today upon his return from England. SLC sources were hopeful that the English coach would stay on in the Sri Lankan top job despite reported offers from the ECB to be their assistant to new England coach, Peter Moores.
The former Kent player had had two stints with Sri Lanka previously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened