Sri Lanka scraps T20 tournament following payment failure by Indian franchises
Johannesburg: The Sri Lanka Premier League (SLPL) Twenty20 tournament for this year has reportedly been scrapped by the country`s cricket administrators after franchise holders defaulted on payments for the tournament and failed to guarantee payments to players.
According to Sri Lankan Cricket (SLC) officials, all seven franchises for the SLPL, which were held by Indian companies, had failed to meet several deadlines to pay nearly three million dollars.
Confirming the fact, SLPL Director Ajit Jayasekera said that SLC has decided to sack all the seven franchise holders as they did not pay despite verbal and sometimes written assurances that they will, adding that for that reason, they had decided to terminate franchise agreements and scrap the tournament for this year.
According to Jayasekera, the authorities are hoping to come up with a new model for a T20 tournament next year, adding that the franchise holders initially agreed to pay a total of 30.49 million dollars spread over seven years but had failed to pay their annual dues for this year by last Sunday`s deadline.
According to a report, Sri Lanka played its inaugural T20 last August with a handful of big-name foreign players, including Chris Gayle from the West Indies and Pakistan`s Shahid Afridi.
Officials further said that the tournament, modelled on the financially lucrative Indian Premier League, made a profit of about 2.2 million dollars for the SLC last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in