Sri Lanka seal series with a thrilling win led by Angelo Mathews
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Colombo: Angelo Mathews led Sri Lanka to a series win over Pakistan helping his side win the fifth and final ODI at the Premadasa Stadium, Colombo.
The all-rounder scored a match winning knock of 80 runs off just 76 balls after his team was left reeling in run chase of 247 on a very slow track. After the openers Dilshan and Tharanga went early, both scalped by Sohail Tanvir, Dinesh Chandimal (54) steadied the innings with Kumar Sangakkara (40). But the spin of Shahid Afridi accounted for Sanga and Jayawerdene (0) in quick succession that put Pakistan a nose tip ahead, even after a horrendous fielding display by the sub-continent side.
The lower middle order came to the fore as Angelo Mathews combined with Chandimal and then with Jeevan Mendis (19) to secure a last over win for his country.
Mohammed Sami was the most expensive of the Pakistani bowlers conceding 75 runs in 9.4 overs, on a day were every other Pakistani bowlers went for an economy of under 5.
Earlier in the day, Pakistan finished with a very good score of 247 for 7 at the end of their 50 overs in the 5nd ODI against Sri Lanka at the Premadasa Stadium, Colombo.
Led by Umar Akmal's late surge of 55 not out and Imran Farhat's solid 56 runs off 63 balls up the order helped the visitors to put up a good score.
After Mohammad Hafeez had once again failed to put a formidable show with the bat as he was out for just 6 runs Imran Farhat combined azhar Ali (30) for a steady start. Farhat was scalped by 1st ODI's hattrick hero Thisara Parera at the score of 56 in the 19th over.
Asad Shafiq then played his part well with a brisk 38 before getting run-out. Misbah-ul-Haq played a slow and steady 32 of 48 balls as the Sri Lankan leggie Jeevan Mendis bolwed a miserly spell conceding just 30 runs off his 9 overs getting the wickets of Azhar Ali and Misbah.
Umar Akmal though, showed his class to ensure that Pakistan reach competitive total scoring 55 runs off 61 balls.
Sri Lanka: Tillakaratne Dilshan, Upul Tharanga, Mahela Jayawardene (c), Kumar Sangakkara (wk), Dinesh Chandimal, Lahiru Thirimanne, Angelo Mathews, Thissara Perera, Nuwan Kulasekara, Jeevan Mendis, Lasith Malinga, Sachithra Senanayake, Nuwan Pradeep, Dilhara Fernando, Sajeewa Weerakoon
Pakistan: Mohammad Hafeez, Azhar Ali, Imran Farhat, Asad Shafiq, Misbah-ul-Haq (c), Umar Akmal, Shahid Afridi, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Umar Gul, Mohammad Sami, Sohail Tanvir, Saeed Ajmal, Shoaib Malik, Abdur Rehman, Aizaz Cheema, Rahat Ali, Younis Khan
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know