Sri Lanka T20 captain Mathews unfazed by chief selector’s batting-style criticism
Wellington: Sri Lanka Twenty20 captain Angelo Mathews has said he is not concerned with the criticism of his batting by chief selector Ashantha de Mel, and added it won’t affect him as he prepares to lead the side against New Zealand in a one-off Twenty20 next Tuesday.
Mathews said on Friday that it`s only chief selector De Mel`s personal opinion that the all rounder has lost his power shots and has been reduced to executing reverse and paddle sweeps to score runs.
Mathews was bowled as he tried to sweep West Indies captain Darren Sammy in the World Twenty20 final this month, a dismissal which contributed to Sri Lanka`s defeat by 36 runs, chasing a modest 137.
“People have different opinions and they shouldn`t get into me,” Stuff.co.nz quoted Mathews, as saying.
Mathews was named captain of the Twenty20 team for one year starting with the New Zealand match after Mahela Jayawardene resigned following the World Twenty20 defeat.
Fast bowler Lasith Malinga was appointed his deputy for the same period and their continuity will depend on an evaluation.
Mathews said he was excited at being named captain, and added he`d learned from Jayawardene as his deputy, and stood in for him at times.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested