Sri Lanka unveils new domestic cricket structure
Colombo: After weeks of protests and deliberations, Sri Lanka Cricket and its premier clubs have structured a new formula for its domestic first-class games, SLC said on Saturday.
The new premier tournament involving three-day games will be the only first-class event in the island.
There will be a four-day final between the top teams of respective tiers.
The new format was struck after clubs protested vehemently against a move to restrict the tournament to just 10 teams.
The new domestic structure will come in to effect from the current season with a phased out implementation of the structure.
It is aimed at bridging the gap between international cricket and domestic cricket. In the new format the Tier A/B clubs will be amalgamated with a total of 20 teams participating.
The 20 teams will be divided into two groups according to the points earned in the preceding year`s tournament.
The top teams from each group will play the final.
There will be a relegation for the three bottom teams from each group, who will play in the tournament for emerging teams, which would be also a three-day event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'