India vs Sri Lanka: 1st Test, Day 2: Statistical highlights
Statistical highlights on the second day of the first cricket Test between India and Sri Lanka here on Thursday.
| Updated: Aug 13, 2015, 20:40 PM IST
Galle: Statistical highlights on the second day of the first cricket Test between India and Sri Lanka here on Thursday.
- India (375) have recorded their highest total vs Sri Lanka in Tests at Galle, surpassing the 338 in 2010.
- Virat Kohli (103) has posted his eleventh century in Tests - his first on his maiden appearance against Sri Lanka.
- Kohli has registered eight hundreds away from home in 22 Tests and three in 13 Tests in India.
- Kohli has recorded six hundreds under Mahendra Singh Dhoni's captaincy and one under Virender Sehwag apart from four in four Tests as Captain.
- Kohli enjoys an outstanding record as captain - his tally being 566 in four Tests at an average of 94.33, including four centuries. His strike rate of 63.09 is quite impressive.
- The sequence of his scores as skipper - 115 & 141, (Adelaide) 147 & 46 (Sydney). 14 vs Bangladesh at Fatullah and 103 vs Sri Lanka at Galle - all between December 2014 and August 2015.
- Kohli is the third skipper to post four centuries in the first four Tests, joining Sunil Gavaskar and Alastair Cook. Cook remains the only Test captain to have regtistered hundreds in each of his first five Tests.
- Kohli has been dismissed on 103 three times in Tests - once each vs Sri Lanka, New Zealand and England. Eight times he has been dismissed between 103 and 119 in Tests.
- Five times, eight batsmen have been dismissed in Indian innings - either bowled or leg before in Tests - twice vs Pakistan (Lucknow, 1952-53 and Karachi, 1982-83) and once each vs Australia, England and Sri Lanka.
- For the first time in the same innings, both the openers have been dismissed without scoring by spinners
- Wriddhiman Saha (60) has posted his maiden fifty in Tests, surpassing the 36 vs South Africa at Nagpur in February 2010.
- He is now the second Indian wicketkeeper to post a fifty in a Test in Sri Lanka - 76 by Mahendra Singh Dhoni had scored 76 at Colombo, SSC in 2010.
- Tharindu Kaushal has registered his second instance of five wickets in an innings - 5 for 42 vs Pakistan at Colombo (PSS) in June and 5 for 134 vs India at Galle - both this year..
- Shikhar Dhawan has recorded his fourth century - one each vs Australia (187 at Mohali in 2013), New Zealand (115 at Auckland in 2014)), Bangladesh (173 at Fatullah in 2015) and Sri Lanka (134 at Galle in 2015).
- Dhawan has registered three centuries away from home and one in India. With back to back centuries in overseas Tests - one each vs Bangladesh and Sri Lanka Dhawan became the third Indian opener after Sunil Gavaskar (twice) and Rahul Dravid to achieve the distinction in overseas Tests.
- Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli were involved in a stand of 227 - India's highest third wicket stand vs Sri Lanka in Tests, surpassing the 173 between Dilip Vengsarkar and Mohinder Amarnath at Nagpur in December 1986.
- The aforesaid stand is India's third highest for the third wicket in overseas Tests - the highest is 336 between Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag vs Pakistan at Multan in March 2004.
- Pradeep (3/98) has registered his best bowling performance at Galle, surpassing the 2 for 71 in June this year.