Srini calls BCCI`s southern units` meet in Chennai, Goa absent
New Delhi: With a fortnight to go for the BCCI`s Annual General Meeting (AGM) in Chennai on September 29, under pressure BCCI president-in-exile N Srinivasan has already started working on his bid to retain the hotseat for one more season.
According to reliable sources in the BCCI, Srinivasan had called all the BCCI affiliated units from southern part to assemble in Chennai to pledge their support for the Tamil Nadu strongman ahead of the AGM, but the absence of Goa Cricket Association (GCA) and Andhra CA from the meeting has led to speculations about an election being on the cards.
"Yes, the BCCI president (Srinivasan) did call the southern units for a meeting in Chennai. But I had some work over here and couldn`t attend the Chennai meeting," Goa Cricket Association president Vinod Phadke told PTI over phone today when questioned about his absence from the meeting.
Asked whether it was about Srinivasan wanting the southern units to pledge their support for him, Phadke said, "It was an internal meeting and I can`t tell you anything about it."
There are reports that a number of affiliated units out of 31 want former BCCI president and eminent Nagpur lawyer Shashank Manohar to contest the elections against Srinivasan and buzz is that GCA is the unit that will propose his name.
When queried on the matter, Phadke gave an open-ended reply.
"We haven`t yet decided on that matter," GCA top boss replied.
It has been learnt that apart from Srinivasan`s home state association TNCA, Hyderabad CA, Kerala CA and KSCA representatives attended Sunday`s meeting.
The last date for filing nominations for elections is 11:30 am on September 28th while any withdrawal can happen on the floor of the meeting.
In order to contest a BCCI presidential election, an individual`s name needs to be proposed by a state unit from a different zone and duly seconded by another unit of that particular zone.
Srinivasan has been in the news after his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan was arrested by the Mumbai Police on allegations of betting on CSK matches in the sixth edition of Indian Premier League.
Meiyappan was later released on bail and Srinivasan had recused himself from the day-to-day functioning of the BCCI but has recently chaired the disciplinary committee meeting that handed life ban to former India international S Sreesanth.
There is also a Special Leave Petition (SLP) filed by the Cricket Association of Bihar in Supreme Court demanding a fresh panel to be formed in order to carry out the inquiry into the IPL corruption after the Bombay High Court declared the constitution of the earlier probe panel by BCCI as illegal.
The two-member panel constituted by BCCI comprised of retired judges of Madras High Court Retd Justice T Jayaram Chouta and Retd Justice R Balasubramanian.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues