Srinivasan can contest election for ICC president: SC
New Delhi: Indian cricket board president N. Srinivasan can go ahead and participate in the election for ICC president as the Supreme Court Thursday declined to entertain a plea by the Cricket Association of Bihar to restrain him from joining the polls.
Declining to pass any order, the apex court bench of Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar and Justice C. Nagappan said the earlier "order of the court was clear and there was no conflict".
The election of the International Cricket Council (ICC) is scheduled for June 27.
The court was referring to an apex court`s earlier order by which it appointed legendary cricketer Sunil Gavaskar as the interim president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to look after Indian Premier League (IPL)-2014 and asked BCCI senior vice president Shiv Lal Yadav to look after other affairs of the board.
The court has divested Srinivasan from functioning as the BCCI president in the wake of the allegation of betting and spot-fixing against several people, including some cricketers and his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan.
On May 22, the apex court declined to entertain Srinivasan`s plea for restoration of his power to functions as the chief of the apex cricketing body in India.
Srinivasan sought the modification of the order divesting him from discharging the functions as the BCCI`s head. By its March 28 order, the court named Gavaskar as the interim president to look after the IPL-2014 and Shiv Lal Yadav to take care of other affairs of the board.
The court by its May 16 order, while appointing Justice Mukul Mudgal to probe the allegations of betting and spot-fixing, said it would hold further hearing on the matter in September and till then Gavaskar and Shiv Lal Yadav would continue to exercise the powers of the BCCI president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door