Srinivasan did the right thing to step aside: Ex-ICC chief
Cardiff: Former ICC president David Morgan on Monday said N Srinivasan did the right thing by stepping aside as BCCI president till a probe into his son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan`s involvement in betting is completed.
Speaking to small group of reporters on the sidelines of the ICC ODI Shield presentation ceremony here, Morgan said: "I watched NDTV last night for half an hour and it does seem to be quite a confused situation (at BCCI).
"I believe that Srinivasan stepping aside has done the right thing and quite clearly there are many talented administrators in the BCCI who can help ... Jagmohan Dalmiya, IS Bindra, Shashank Manohar and Sharad Pawar are very talented and capable," said the 76-year-old Morgan.
Srinivasan had stepped aside as BCCI President during the Board`s Emergent Working Committee meeting yesterday, under a compromise formula that brought back former Chief Jagmohan Dalmiya as head of a four-member "interim arrangement" to run the Indian Board, more than a fortnight after the spot-fixing scandal rocked cricketing world.
There was pressure on Srinivasan to resign after after his son-in-law and Chennai Super Kings Team Principal Meiyappan was arrested for alleged involvement in betting. Srinivasan`s company India Cements owns CSK.
Morgan, who has been the chairman of the Glamorgan County Club, said power struggle in cricket administration can hit rock bottom.
"I think cricket has witnessed many longstanding friendships and from time to time people do have difficulty in the issues. Perhaps, it depends from person to person," he said.
The ICC`s Anti-Corruption Unit has come under fire after three Indian players were arrested for allegedly `spot-fixing` games in the sixth Indian Premier League.
Morgan said the ICC is doing enough to curb match-fixing.
"I believe efforts are always been made to curb spot-fixing and match-fixing and to increase the policing of it and prevention of it," Morgan said.
"I know it is a widespread problem and ICC is doing every possible thing to curb it. ICC does a tremendous job in doing top most to eradicate spot-fixing and match fixing."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’