Srinivasan says he will contest BCCI’s presidential elections
Mumbai: Embattled but defiant nonetheless, BCCI President N Srinivasan on Thursday declared that he will contest for the top post in the upcoming Board elections in Chennai on September 29.
"I am going to stand (for re-election as president). You are press, all of you are giving the numbers (in support and against me)," said Srinivasan after attending BCCI`s marketing committee meeting here.
Srinivasan is bidding to get re-elected as the president of the BCCI for the third year running under the Board`s two plus one year tenure rule after having completed two years at the helm.
Srinivasan has been under a lot of pressure since the spot-fixing scandal broke out and his son-in-law and Chennai Super Kings Team Principal Gurunath Meiyappan`s name cropped up in investigations into betting during the Indian Premier League`s sixth season held in April-May.
The Tamil Nadu Cricket Association`s president stepped aside in June as the BCCI chief and let former president Jagmohan Dalmiya take over the day-to-day work.
However, he chaired the meeting of the disciplinary committee held in Delhi earlier this month that imposed life bans on cricketers S Sreesanth and Ankeet Chavan following a probe by BCCI`s Anti-Corruption and Sceurity Unit chief Ravi Sawani for indulging in spot-fixing in IPL6.
Srinivasan also said the report of south units holding a meeting in Chennai recently was not correct as the media got the venue wrong.
Two units of south zone, Goa and Andhra CA, did not attend the meeting, according to the reports.
"First of all the information is wrong. The meeting did not take place (at the venue) where media is saying," said the BCCI chief.
"I don`t know what bearing it has (on the upcoming elections)," he added.
As per the Board's regulations, it's the turn of south zone to propose and second the name of the president for the third year but the candidate they support can be from outside that zone.
There are talks that Srinivasan's predecessor Shashank Manohar is interested in staging a comeback. But an important Board functionary rejected the chance of the Nagpur-based Manohar to return to the helm.
"Shashank Manohar has said he's interested, but he is getting support only from one unit of south. What can he do?" the official asked.
Another key functionary said Srinivasan's backers are confident that he would get elected for another year as he has got the requisite support.
"The president is going to stand (for getting re-elected). He has got good numbers. We are confident and not worried. We are calling it as an election and it will be for one year," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt