Sydney: Young fast bowler Mitchell Starc has said he is ready to prove himself in order to compel the selectors to pick him up for the second Test against South Africa in Adelaide, and also revealed that coach Mickey Arthur has advised him to get more practice with the red ball.
“Mickey just said to get out there with the red ball this week and make sure you`re ready for the next one to be available,” a website quoted Starc, as saying.
Starc will look to push for a pace berth in the second Test via the Sheffield Shield with New South Wales on Tuesday.
“That`s what I`ll be doing and I`ll be doing my best to try and take wickets and contribute to a NSW win. At the same time I also want to get myself match-ready to be available for hopefully the next Test,” Starc said.
After a lacklustre opening day by the Australian pace attack against South Africa on Friday, many wondered why Starc with a brilliant record in recent months in the shorter forms of the game was overlooked, and there is now a push to have him replace Ben Hilfenhaus in Adelaide.
Joining Starc in the middle with the Blues will be Josh Hazlewood, who was brought into the Australian camp last week with a view of giving him a Test debut later this summer, as well as Doug Bollinger, the left-arm quick whose Test career ended in Adelaide a few summers ago during the forgettable Ashes.