Statistical Highlight: India vs England Day 2
London: Statistical highlights of the second day`s play in the fourth and final cricket Test between India and England.
• England managed 382 runs in a day`s play - their second highest against India at The Oval, behind the 471 for eight on the first day in 1936.
• Ian Bell (181 not out off 304 balls) has posted 150 or more in a Test innings for the fourth time - his career-best being 199 against South Africa at Lord`s in 2008.
• Bell has posted five hundreds in a year for the first time. He has become the first batsman to register five Test hundreds in 2011.
• Bell (4973 at an average of 49.23 in 69 Tests) needs 27 runs to complete 5,000 runs.
• Bell has recorded 11 hundreds in England and five away from home.
• Kevin Pietersen, with his 175 off 232 balls, has emulated Ian Botham and Graham Gooch`s feat of posting five hundreds against India.
• Pietersen has managed 500 runs in a Test series for the first time, aggregating 533 at an average of 106.60, eclipsing the 490 (ave.54.44) in five Tests against Australia in Australia in 2006-07
• Pietersen has aggregated two hundreds in a Test series for the first time since the series against the visiting South Africans three years ago.
• Pietersen recorded his fifth century against India - his 19th in Tests. He has registered 13 centuries in England and six on foreign soil.
• Pietersen has posted 150 or more in a Test innings eight times, including three double hundreds - his career-best being 227 against Australia at Adelaide.
• Pietersen`s century is the 100th for England against India in Tests.
• Pietersen and Bell managed a stand of 350 - England`s highest for the third wicket against India, eclipsing the 308 by Graham Gooch and Allan Lamb at Lord`s in 1990.
• The stand is England`s highest against India for any wicket in Tests.
• The invaluable 350-run partnership is the fourth highest by any pair against India in Tests and the second highest for the third wicket, behind the 451 between Javed Miandad and Mudassar Nazar for Pakistan at Hyderabad (Sind) in January 1983.
• The stand is England`s second highest for the third wicket in Tests, next only to the 378 between Denis Compton and Bill Edrich against South Africa at Lord`s in 1947
• Pietersen and Bell have shared seven century partnerships, aggregating 2263 runs at an average of 58.02, including seven stands of 100-plus in 40 innings.
• The pair has registered a stand of 100 or more three times in the present rubber - 110 at Lord`s, 162 at Nottingham and 350 at The Oval.
• The top three run-getters this year are all from England. Cook (927 at an average of 84.27) tops the charts followed by Bell (896 at an average of 128.00) and Pietersen (731 at an average of 73.10).