Statistical Highlights: India Vs England Day 3
London: Statistical highlights of the third day`s play in the fourth and final Test between India and England.
• Ian Bell (235 off 364 balls) recorded his career-best knock in Tests, surpassing the 199 against South Africa at Lord`s in July 2008.
• Bell, for the first time in a Test series, has aggregated 500 runs - 504 at an average of 84.00, including two centuries in four Tests.
• Bell established an English record for the highest individual innings against India at The Oval, eclipsing the 217 by Wally Hammond in August 1936.
• Apart from Bell and Hammond, Ian Botham is the only one to register a double hundred for England against India at The Oval - 208 in 1982.
• Bell`s knock is the highest individual innings in England-India Tests at The Oval, bettering the 221 by Sunil Gavaskar in August 1979.
• Bell`s outstanding innings is the fourth highest for England against India in Tests - the highest three innings are - 333 by Graham Gooch at Lord`s in 1990; 294 by Alastair Cook at Birmingham in 2011 and 246 not out by Geoff Boycott at Leeds in 1967.
• Bell`s double hundred is the 18th at The Oval – the most double hundreds at any venue, bettering the 17 at Adelaide.
• Three double centuries (Pietersen, Cook and Bell) have been posted by English players in the present series, emulating their record for most double hundreds in a series. In the 1938 Test series against the visiting Australians, Eddie Paynter, Wally Hammond and Len Hutton had registered 200-plus.
• Rahul Dravid posted his 61st fifty, setting an Indian record, overtaking Sachin Tendulkar`s tally of 60. Only Allan Border (63) has recorded more half-centuries than Dravid.
• Dravid`s 57 not out off 108 balls is his ninth fifty against England.
• In fifty innings under Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s captaincy, Dravid has recorded nine centuries and six fifties. His tally is 2223 at an average of 51.69 in 29 Tests.
• Sachin Tendulkar has totalled only 182 in seven innings at an average of 26.00 - his lowest average in a four-Test series, outstripping the 33.66 against South Africa - 202 in six innings in South Africa in 1992-93.
• Suresh Raina recorded a duck, facing 29 balls, equalling a dubious distinction for India. Irfan Pathan had also faced 29 balls while registering a duck against Pakistan at Bangalore in March 2005.
• England, for the first time against India, have posted three totals of 500 or more in a Test series - 544 at Trent Bridge, 710 for seven wickets declared at Edgbaston and 591 for six wickets declared at The Oval.
• Bell is the 21st English player to complete his 5000 runs in Tests, managing 5027 at an average of 49.28 in 69 Tests.
• Bell, with 950 runs (ave.118.75) in 11 innings (eight Tests), is the top run-getter this year. The performance is his best in a calendar year.
• Dhoni, with Eoin Morgan`s catch, has taken his 198th dismissal - 173 catches + 25 stumpings in 61 matches. He has equalled Syed Kirmani`s Indian record of 198 dismissals (160 catches + 38 stumpings) in 88 Tests.