Steve Smith in line for late Ashes call-up
Sydney: Australian cricketer Steve Smith is reportedly expected to be included as a reserve batsman for the Ashes squad following captain Michael Clarke`s ongoing back injury and opener David Warner`s suspension.
Among Australia`s struggling batsmen, Smith, a better spinner than pacer, has been one of the few good news stories this year and is unlucky not to have been included in the original Ashes squad.
Named captain of the Australia A tour to Zimbabwe and South Africa in July and August, Smith is also the leading run-scorer for the A side on their current tour of the British Isles, although Cricket Australia`s (CA) high performance manager Pat Howard said that this does not preclude Smith or any other player in the 15-man A squad from being seconded for Ashes.
According to Howard, CA will have to assess players` movements after the Gloucestershire game to decide on their possible selection for the Ashes, although he added that they are not going to put barriers in the way of the Ashes team getting the best preparation they can.
The wayward and injury-prone Shaun Marsh has also been included in the A team to tour Africa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?