Steve Waugh joins Keralites in Vishu celebrations
Kollam: Former Australia skipper Steve Waugh celebrated the harvest festival `Vishu` with the locals here by lighting the traditional lamp to mark the beginning of New Year according to the local calender.
Waugh delighted the locals here with his presence at a private function.
The festival is believed to signal good fortune in the coming year.
His former teammates such as Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist and Brett Lee are busy playing in the cash-rich Indian Premier League (IPL).
Waugh was here to mark the launch of the operations of the Australia-based OGM Technical Institute, of which he is the brand ambassador.
Waugh, 47, led Australia in 15 of their world-record 16 consecutive Test wins and to the 1999 World Cup title, playing 168 Tests and collecting 10,927 runs.
He has also scored over 7500 runs in 325 One-day Internationals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- DNA: Why no voice is being raised in favour of Kashmiri Pandits?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city