Steve Waugh joins Keralites in Vishu celebrations
Kollam: Former Australia skipper Steve Waugh celebrated the harvest festival `Vishu` with the locals here by lighting the traditional lamp to mark the beginning of New Year according to the local calender.
Waugh delighted the locals here with his presence at a private function.
The festival is believed to signal good fortune in the coming year.
His former teammates such as Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist and Brett Lee are busy playing in the cash-rich Indian Premier League (IPL).
Waugh was here to mark the launch of the operations of the Australia-based OGM Technical Institute, of which he is the brand ambassador.
Waugh, 47, led Australia in 15 of their world-record 16 consecutive Test wins and to the 1999 World Cup title, playing 168 Tests and collecting 10,927 runs.
He has also scored over 7500 runs in 325 One-day Internationals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers
- Burhan Wani's father meets Sri Sri Ravi Shankar