Steven Finn backs Alastair Cook to help England reclaim No. 1 Test spot
London: England fast bowler Steve Finn has backed Test captain Alastair Cook’s cricketing skills, saying the opening batsman can fill Andrew Strauss’s boots and kickstart England’s rise back to the No. 1 position.
England’s tour of India will be Cook’s first in charge of the national team since Strauss’s shock retirement back in August.
And Finn, who is already the youngest English bowler to take 50 Test wickets, believes Cook’s outfit will be simmering with refreshed ambition as they prepare to take on India on home soil.
“He has been a great leader, which is why he’s now Test captain, he has got all the credentials, he’s very calm, he’s an experienced player and he makes good decisions,” a daily quoted Finn, as saying.
“It’s a great time for us to start playing a really good brand of Test cricket and Cooky will run the side in his own individual way and we’re all going to get behind him,” he added.
According to the report, Finn, who was just six months old when Indian legend Sachin Tendulkar made his Test debut in November 1989, is also looking forward to his first clash with the Little Master, the man who has rewritten the record books during his career.
“He’s a great of the game and it’s very exciting to be able to come against these people. I grew up watching Tendulkar on television, so to be playing against him will be an incredible experience,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3