Stewart praises centurion Root over Compton for `star quality`
London: Former England cricket captain Alec Stewart has praised right-handed batsman Joe Root for his maiden Test hundred at Headingley, saying he batted like a mature and experienced player, unlike Nick Compton who has not gone past 16 in his last five innings despite scoring hundreds in the first two Tests during England`s tour of New Zealand earlier this year.
Root`s 104 came in his sixth Test, and was the first debut ton by a Yorkshireman at Headingley in Leeds, The Mirror reports.
Stewart acknowledged Root`s star quality and backed his progress, and also said he is likely to be promoted to his favoured position at the top of the order in place of Compton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday