Stewart praises centurion Root over Compton for `star quality`
London: Former England cricket captain Alec Stewart has praised right-handed batsman Joe Root for his maiden Test hundred at Headingley, saying he batted like a mature and experienced player, unlike Nick Compton who has not gone past 16 in his last five innings despite scoring hundreds in the first two Tests during England`s tour of New Zealand earlier this year.
Root`s 104 came in his sixth Test, and was the first debut ton by a Yorkshireman at Headingley in Leeds, The Mirror reports.
Stewart acknowledged Root`s star quality and backed his progress, and also said he is likely to be promoted to his favoured position at the top of the order in place of Compton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!