Steyn becomes third fastest bowler to pick 300 Test scalps
Johannesburg: South Africa fast bowler Dale Steyn became the third fastest bowler to pick 300 wickets in Test cricket when he bowled Doug Bracewell in the first session of the first Test against New Zealand at Newlands on Wednesday.
Steyn was playing in his 61st Test. Only Australia`s Dennis Lillee, who achieved the feat in his 56th Test, and Muttiah Muralitharan of Sri Lanka (58) have reached the milestone in fewer matches, Sport24 reports.
Steyn, currently the world`s number one ranked Test bowler, joined West Indian Malcolm Marshall and New Zealand`s Richard Hadlee in taking 300 wickets in 61 matches.
Proteas captain Graeme Smith hailed Steyn’s feat as unbelievable, and branded the fiery pace man as their go to guy who always gets them vital wickets at the right time.
Smith added that Steyn is the type of player every captain wants in his team, and his presence in the Proteas squad is an asset.
Steyn had to wait until the third ball of his second spell to take his first wicket of the match and was overshadowed by new ball partner Vernon Philander who took the first five wickets at a cost of four runs.
Steyn`s strike reduced the tourists to 31 for seven after they won the toss, before being bowled out for a measly 45 in the first innings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured