Steyn says will continue use of `secret` bowling `weapon` in upcoming series against Oz
Johannesburg: South African pace bowler Dale Steyn has revealed that he would be continuing to use his `secret weapon` of variation in his delivery stride and bowling action in the upcoming series against Australia.
During the recent Test series against India, Steyn has increasingly used subtle variations of width in his delivery at the crease to devastating effect and took the vital wicket of Cheteshwar Pujara on the final day of the second Test in Durban by using this tactic.
According to a leading channel, Steyn revealed that after the Test, he and his team`s bowling coach Allan Donald had discussed better use of variation in his delivery stride and bowling action, with Donald saying that he had suggested the tactic due to Steyn`s tendency to pitch the ball up just outside of off-stump.
Donald further said that Steyn could use the tactic if there is not much in the pitch for the bowlers, adding that it is important to get the angle of release just right.
The report mentioned that the ball is designed to beat the batsman by angling it in to the middle stump with one inch of swing, with the cracks on the Kingsmead pitch also playing a role in the delivery.
Steyn`s tally of 51 wickets from Tests in 2013 was the third highest of any bowler, behind Stuart Broad (62 wickets) and James Anderson (51 wickets), both of whom played five more Test than the South African and also joined an exclusive club of bowlers to have reached 350 wickets in Test cricket, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today