Strategy-wise 2011 WC team better than `83
Shillong: Former India cricketer Karsan Ghavri said that the Mahendra Singh Dhoni-led World Cup winning Indian team is `much stronger` than Kapil`s Devils of 1983 in terms of strategy.
"Though it is hard to compare both the teams, the one led by Dhoni appears more organised and planned. Strategy-wise also they are better and much stronger (than the 1983 side)," Ghavri told reporters.
Ghavri branded the current Indian batting line-up as the best in the world, but pointed out that the team has some work to do in its bowling and fielding departments.
The former left-arm pacer, who played for India in the 1975 and 1979 World Cups, was here to attend a BCCI camp for young cricketers of the North-East.
Asked whether Test cricket has lost its sheen with the advent of Twenty20, Ghavri said the five-day format still remained the "real test for a cricketer."
"T20 is an entertaining and enterprising game from the spectators` point of view. It is a big money spinning format and result-oriented. But when it comes to skill and talent of a cricketer, Test matches are real tests. The five-day format is a real test for a player," he reasoned.
"All the three formats are here to stay and Test cricket can never die," Ghavri, who has played 39 Tests and 19 ODIs, contended.
Ghavri, who oversaw 29 budding players of the region during the nine-day camp, was of the view that the youngsters can play at higher levels if they work hard.
"Some of them are bright and have challenging prospects."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Government to set up special court for all NSEL cases
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned for Rs 14 lakh
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- Srinagar-Muzaffarbad bus service to resume tomorrow