Strategy-wise 2011 WC team better than `83
Shillong: Former India cricketer Karsan Ghavri said that the Mahendra Singh Dhoni-led World Cup winning Indian team is `much stronger` than Kapil`s Devils of 1983 in terms of strategy.
"Though it is hard to compare both the teams, the one led by Dhoni appears more organised and planned. Strategy-wise also they are better and much stronger (than the 1983 side)," Ghavri told reporters.
Ghavri branded the current Indian batting line-up as the best in the world, but pointed out that the team has some work to do in its bowling and fielding departments.
The former left-arm pacer, who played for India in the 1975 and 1979 World Cups, was here to attend a BCCI camp for young cricketers of the North-East.
Asked whether Test cricket has lost its sheen with the advent of Twenty20, Ghavri said the five-day format still remained the "real test for a cricketer."
"T20 is an entertaining and enterprising game from the spectators` point of view. It is a big money spinning format and result-oriented. But when it comes to skill and talent of a cricketer, Test matches are real tests. The five-day format is a real test for a player," he reasoned.
"All the three formats are here to stay and Test cricket can never die," Ghavri, who has played 39 Tests and 19 ODIs, contended.
Ghavri, who oversaw 29 budding players of the region during the nine-day camp, was of the view that the youngsters can play at higher levels if they work hard.
"Some of them are bright and have challenging prospects."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins