Strauss-led England deserves to be World No.1-ranked Test team: McGrath
Sydney: Former Australian fast bowler Glenn McGrath expects the Andrew Strauss-led England side to continue in their bid to become the country’s most successful side in years.
England claimed the number-one Test ranking for the first time in 32 years after winning the recent four-match Test series against India.
To top the championship table for the first time under the current ranking system, which was introduced in June 2003, Strauss’ side needed to win the series by a 2-0 margin or better.
“It has been an interesting time, especially with the way England have played. I think England have a great bowling attack and when you have that, it gives you a lot of confidence and they deserve to be number one,” McGrath said.
“Now, I think it’s about consistency and longevity. If they can keep the same team together then they’ll be tough to beat,” he added.
McGrath further believes that ‘quality bowler’ James Anderson has helped transform England’s fortunes.
“I always had a lot of respect for Jimmy and I always thought he was a quality bowler. He is now showing he can bowl in conditions outside of England which is great. It shows he’s developing into the quality bowler,” the fast bowler said.
“Now he has Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad and Chris Tremlett bowling with him and they’ve been great. Those fast bowlers along with Graeme Swann are working well. When you have the same bowling attack game after game it really does fill you with a lot of confidence. To me, that is the reason why England are number one,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day