Stuart Broad hails ‘best ever T20 display’ by England
London: England captain Stuart Broad has branded their comprehensive ten-wickets win in the final Twenty20 against New Zealand in Wellington as their best ever performance in the shortest format of the game.
Broad watched in awe as openers Alex Hales and Michael Lumb bludgeoned England to a series-clinching win over New Zealand with an incredible 7.2 overs to spare while chasing a target of 140.
The 2-1 series win gives England huge momentum leading into the three-match 50-over series starting in Hamilton on Sunday when the likes of Alastair Cook, Ian Bell, Jonathan Trott, Graeme Swann and James Anderson return.
Broad himself played a key role in England’s triumph by taking 3-15 in four hostile overs as England’s quick bowlers made life distinctly tough for the Blackcaps batsmen.
The captain said that was the most powerful performance he has seen from an England side, adding it was pretty much perfect.
Broad added after winning the toss, he spoke to the guys and said it was important they righted their wrongs from their defeat on Tuesday.
Broad said the tone we set with the ball was fantastic and they kept them to 20-30 runs under par, and then the power England openers showed was fantastic, adding to chase down 140 in just 12 or 13 overs was spectacular.
The all rounder added England’s current batting line-up has excited him throughout the two weeks of T20 matches, added they have strikers throughout and there is some really good talent in this England side.
Hales plundered 80 from 42 balls while Lumb hammered his way to 53 not out from 34 deliveries. The Nottinghamshire pair hit nine sixes between them as England overhauled New Zealand’s 139-8 with 143-0, their highest opening partnership in T20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees