Stuart Broad hails ‘best ever T20 display’ by England
London: England captain Stuart Broad has branded their comprehensive ten-wickets win in the final Twenty20 against New Zealand in Wellington as their best ever performance in the shortest format of the game.
Broad watched in awe as openers Alex Hales and Michael Lumb bludgeoned England to a series-clinching win over New Zealand with an incredible 7.2 overs to spare while chasing a target of 140.
The 2-1 series win gives England huge momentum leading into the three-match 50-over series starting in Hamilton on Sunday when the likes of Alastair Cook, Ian Bell, Jonathan Trott, Graeme Swann and James Anderson return.
Broad himself played a key role in England’s triumph by taking 3-15 in four hostile overs as England’s quick bowlers made life distinctly tough for the Blackcaps batsmen.
The captain said that was the most powerful performance he has seen from an England side, adding it was pretty much perfect.
Broad added after winning the toss, he spoke to the guys and said it was important they righted their wrongs from their defeat on Tuesday.
Broad said the tone we set with the ball was fantastic and they kept them to 20-30 runs under par, and then the power England openers showed was fantastic, adding to chase down 140 in just 12 or 13 overs was spectacular.
The all rounder added England’s current batting line-up has excited him throughout the two weeks of T20 matches, added they have strikers throughout and there is some really good talent in this England side.
Hales plundered 80 from 42 balls while Lumb hammered his way to 53 not out from 34 deliveries. The Nottinghamshire pair hit nine sixes between them as England overhauled New Zealand’s 139-8 with 143-0, their highest opening partnership in T20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened