Sumathipala out of Sri Lanka Cricket presidency race
Colombo: Thilanga Sumathipala, the front-runner to become the head of Sri Lanka Cricket has been disqualified to contest the election next month.
Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage said the nomination of Sumathipala, a former President, has been rejected.
Objections were raised against his nomination over his links to sporting bookies and media institutions.
Sumathipala`s nomination violates section 15-1 of the national sports associations regulations as stipulated in the sports law, sports ministry said.
Aluthgamage had appointed a three-member committee to probe the eligibility of Sumathipala, a ruling party Member of Parliament, to head the cricket administration.
Sports ministry sources said that the nominations of the other two contenders, the incumbent Upali Dharmadasa and Sumith Perera, are also likely to be rejected.
SLC`s executive committee will make a decision on ways to proceed with the election if all the three nominations for the SLC`s chair are rejected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read