Sun TV retains 20 players for Hyderabad`s IPL franchise
Mumbai: The Hyderabad franchise of the Indian Premier League (IPL), owned by Sun TV, retained 20 players in their initial squad for the 2013 season of the cash-rich Twenty20 league, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) said Thursday.
Sun TV has decided to retain six overseas players like Dale Steyn, Jean Paul Duminy, Kumar Sangakkara, Cameron White, Chris Lynn and Juan Theron. The new owners have spent $5 million and still have a budget of $7 million in their kitty.
"The franchises have clearly focussed on performance in the IPL in making their decisions as to which players will form part of their respective core groups for the 2013 season. Each Franchise has room under the salary cap to be able to sign additional players, either by trading or in the auction or, in the case of uncapped Indian players, by direct agreement with the player in question," said Rajeev Shukla, IPL chairman.
Each franchise has a salary cap of up to $12.5 million to spend on their 2013 squad of up to 33 players, of whom a maximum of 11 can be from overseas. Only four overseas players can figure in the starting XI for any match. Nine IPL franchises have retained 179 players.
The trading window will open Monday. Franchises will also be able to sign uncapped Indian players, including the 52 players whose contracts were not extended.
The franchises now also have the option of re-signing the players who they took as temporary replacements in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing