Superb Dwayne Smith`s century takes Tridents to victory
Bridgetown (Barbados): A century by Dwayne Smith fired Barbados Tridents to their second win of the Caribbean Premier League (CPL), with a convincing 29-run triumph over St Lucia Zouks in their first home match.
Smith stroked a superb, unbeaten 110 as Tridents Wednesday piled up 186 for two off their 20 overs, after being sent in at Kensington Oval under an overcast sky.
Pakistani Shoaib Malik chipped in with 49, in a 110-run second wicket stand with Smith to lay the platform for the final assault in the last five overs which yielded 58 runs.
In reply, Zouks were never really in contention and ended on 157 for four off their 20 overs, with a few batsmen getting starts but failing to carry on.
Keddy Lesporis top-scored with an unbeaten 50 off 38 balls while Sohail Tanvir struck an entertaining unbeaten 38 off just 18 balls. Andre Fletcher scored 27.
However, it was Smith who stole the show, punching seven fours and eight sixes in a 69-ball innings. He reached his first 50 off 39 balls and completed the second from just 29 deliveries.
The visitors lost wickets regularly to slip to 79 for four in the 14th over before Lesporis and Sohail put on 78 for the fifth wicket to revive the innings.
Lesporis hit six fours and a six while Sohail stroked a four and bludgeoned four sixes but the asking rate of over 17 an over proved too much for Zouks.
Barbados Tridents 186 for two off 20 overs (Dwayne Smith 110 not out, Shoaib Malik 49)
St. Lucia Zouks 157 for four off 20 overs (Keddy Lesporis 50 not out, Sohail Tanvir 38 not out, Andre Fletcher 27, Henry Davids 22).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday