Superb Dwayne Smith`s century takes Tridents to victory
Bridgetown (Barbados): A century by Dwayne Smith fired Barbados Tridents to their second win of the Caribbean Premier League (CPL), with a convincing 29-run triumph over St Lucia Zouks in their first home match.
Smith stroked a superb, unbeaten 110 as Tridents Wednesday piled up 186 for two off their 20 overs, after being sent in at Kensington Oval under an overcast sky.
Pakistani Shoaib Malik chipped in with 49, in a 110-run second wicket stand with Smith to lay the platform for the final assault in the last five overs which yielded 58 runs.
In reply, Zouks were never really in contention and ended on 157 for four off their 20 overs, with a few batsmen getting starts but failing to carry on.
Keddy Lesporis top-scored with an unbeaten 50 off 38 balls while Sohail Tanvir struck an entertaining unbeaten 38 off just 18 balls. Andre Fletcher scored 27.
However, it was Smith who stole the show, punching seven fours and eight sixes in a 69-ball innings. He reached his first 50 off 39 balls and completed the second from just 29 deliveries.
The visitors lost wickets regularly to slip to 79 for four in the 14th over before Lesporis and Sohail put on 78 for the fifth wicket to revive the innings.
Lesporis hit six fours and a six while Sohail stroked a four and bludgeoned four sixes but the asking rate of over 17 an over proved too much for Zouks.
Barbados Tridents 186 for two off 20 overs (Dwayne Smith 110 not out, Shoaib Malik 49)
St. Lucia Zouks 157 for four off 20 overs (Keddy Lesporis 50 not out, Sohail Tanvir 38 not out, Andre Fletcher 27, Henry Davids 22).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro to be launched today; Is Mi Notebook on the way too?
- Income Tax raid at AAP legislator's residence
- Bezwada Wilson, T M Krishna win Ramon Magsaysay Award
- Caribbean Premier League eyes US ahead of T20 games
- Mayawati slur row: Expelled BJP leader Dayashankar Singh spotted in Jharkhand – See pics