Supreme Court releases Sunil Gavaskar as interim BCCI president for IPL 7
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday relieved Sunil Gavaskar of his role as the president of Indian Premier League 7. The court also said that Shivlal Yadav will continue as BCCI interim president as per March 28 order.
Following the apex court`s clarification, the former Indian captain is free to pursue other activities.
Earlier, Sunil Gavaskar wrote to the Supreme Court to direct the Indian cricket Board to pay his fees for his assignment as interim president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). In the wake of the IPL scandal, the Supreme Court had suspended N. Srinivasan from working as BCCI head and appointed Gavaskar as interim president. The former Test opener was asked to look after IPL matters.
Srinivasan`s son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan has been charged with corruption during IPL 2013. Both Srinivasan and Meiyappan are being probed by a court-appointed committee headed by retired judge, Justice Mukul Mudgal.
While appointing Gavaskar as stand-in BCCI president, the court had directed that the former Test captain, a well-respected commentator, should refrain from doing his media duties. The court had asked the Board to compensate Gavaskar.
Gavaskar in his letter to the Supreme Court said he is yet to get his fees from BCCI. The top court was supposed to take this case on Friday but adjourned it after Justice Rohinton Narimam recused from the matter.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?