Supreme Court releases Sunil Gavaskar as interim BCCI president for IPL 7
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday relieved Sunil Gavaskar of his role as the president of Indian Premier League 7. The court also said that Shivlal Yadav will continue as BCCI interim president as per March 28 order.
Following the apex court`s clarification, the former Indian captain is free to pursue other activities.
Earlier, Sunil Gavaskar wrote to the Supreme Court to direct the Indian cricket Board to pay his fees for his assignment as interim president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). In the wake of the IPL scandal, the Supreme Court had suspended N. Srinivasan from working as BCCI head and appointed Gavaskar as interim president. The former Test opener was asked to look after IPL matters.
Srinivasan`s son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan has been charged with corruption during IPL 2013. Both Srinivasan and Meiyappan are being probed by a court-appointed committee headed by retired judge, Justice Mukul Mudgal.
While appointing Gavaskar as stand-in BCCI president, the court had directed that the former Test captain, a well-respected commentator, should refrain from doing his media duties. The court had asked the Board to compensate Gavaskar.
Gavaskar in his letter to the Supreme Court said he is yet to get his fees from BCCI. The top court was supposed to take this case on Friday but adjourned it after Justice Rohinton Narimam recused from the matter.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Toyota launches new engine facility in Bengaluru
- Rio-bound boxer Manoj Kumar reaches out to PM Narendra Modi – Here's why
- Subramanian Swamy denies targeting Arun Jaitley, says he looks very smart in a coat
- PM Modi launches Smart City projects in Pune, calls it "People's Mission"
- Govinda chose 'The Kapil Sharma show' over 'Comedy Nights Live'—Here's why?