Supreme Court releases Sunil Gavaskar as interim BCCI president for IPL 7
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday relieved Sunil Gavaskar of his role as the president of Indian Premier League 7. The court also said that Shivlal Yadav will continue as BCCI interim president as per March 28 order.
Following the apex court`s clarification, the former Indian captain is free to pursue other activities.
Earlier, Sunil Gavaskar wrote to the Supreme Court to direct the Indian cricket Board to pay his fees for his assignment as interim president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). In the wake of the IPL scandal, the Supreme Court had suspended N. Srinivasan from working as BCCI head and appointed Gavaskar as interim president. The former Test opener was asked to look after IPL matters.
Srinivasan`s son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan has been charged with corruption during IPL 2013. Both Srinivasan and Meiyappan are being probed by a court-appointed committee headed by retired judge, Justice Mukul Mudgal.
While appointing Gavaskar as stand-in BCCI president, the court had directed that the former Test captain, a well-respected commentator, should refrain from doing his media duties. The court had asked the Board to compensate Gavaskar.
Gavaskar in his letter to the Supreme Court said he is yet to get his fees from BCCI. The top court was supposed to take this case on Friday but adjourned it after Justice Rohinton Narimam recused from the matter.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble