Suspense continues over Umar Akmal’s health
Karachi: Pakistan`s wicketkeeper-batsman Umar Akmal has arrived here accompanied by a Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) doctor to have another check up with a leading neurologist, even as mystery continued regarding the intensity of his illness that forced him out of the Caribbean Premier League and the tour to Zimbabwe.
"Umar has got an appointment with the neurologist on Wednesday and is accompanied by Dr Sohail Saleem," a source in the board said.
"We are hopeful that once this check up is completed, a clear picture will emerge about Umar`s medical condition as he has already undergone MRI scans and was examined by a Lahore based neurologist," the source added.
The youngest of the Akmal brothers was called back by the PCB from the West Indies after reports emerged that he had fallen unconscious on a flight from Trinidad to Antigua due to a seizure attack, which is normally associated with epilepsy.
The incident also led the board pulling him out of the T20 and ODI series in Zimbabwe.
However, Umar on returning home had told reporters he was perfectly fine and was ready to join the team in Zimbabwe, adding to the confusion about his medical condition.
"The truth is that even the board medical panel got a bit confused when they saw the medical reports about Umar which were taken in the West Indies. The reports indicated he was facing a epilepsy condition in advanced stage but tests and consultations in Pakistan point otherwise," the source said.
"Indications are that Umar might be facing a mild seizure condition but this has to be reconfirmed. That`s the reason he is in Karachi," he added.
The source also confirmed that Najam Sethi, the caretaker Chairman of the PCB, had met with Umar in Lahore last week for half an hour and assured him he would be well looked after.
"But Sethi also advised Akmal to refrain from giving unnecessary statements in the media which might appear as if the board and player were on different wavelengths," the source said.
"The board itself is keen on getting a clearer picture about Umar as Pakistan has two very important `home` series coming up against South Africa and Sri Lanka in the UAE."
Meanwhile, former South African batsman Jonty Rhodes revealed that he himself was a patient of epilepsy.
Rhodes told `Dawn` newspaper that Umar would have to be patient and follow the doctor`s advice to overcome his illness.
"I would like to tell Umar that this disease is curable if proper dosage of medicine is maintained. He must look after himself at this stage to prolong his career," Rhodes told the newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India