Swann declares support for Eng captain Cook irrespective of decision on KP’s inclusion
London: England off spinner Graeme Swann has made it clear he would absolutely back new Test captain Alastair Cook in every circumstances even if he decides to reinclude controversial batsman Kevin Pietersen in the team.
With negotiations between Pietersen and team director Andy Flower under way, Cook will be involved following the one-day series, and according to reports, he is keen to have the star batsman in his team.
The good news for Cook is that the players are keen to show him the same level of support they showed Strauss, and that gives him something to work with.
“Whatever decision gets made about Kevin I’ll go along with it, of course I will,” said Swann. It’s a decision that will be made above my pay grade and I’m sure it will be in the best interests of the side,” .
“The ECB are my employers and all I want to do is play for my country. I’ll do whatever I can to support my new captain and, if he wants Kevin back in the side then, I’ll be right there doing my bit for the team as well,” he added.
“Cooky will do a good job. Everybody is comfortable with his style. There will be no nasty surprises and I envisage a very long and successful stint for him. I don’t think it will be radically different to Straussy because he is a similar character. Very unflappable and level headed,” he said.
Swann added: “He will relish it and if things go his way he could be our captain for a decade, he could be our Graeme Smith.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir