Swann to captain England Twenty20 side
London: Off-spinner Graeme Swann will captain his country for the first time when he leads the England Twenty20 side in two matches against West Indies this month in the absence of injured skipper Stuart Broad and vice-captain Eoin Morgan.
Swann will be the fifth man to skipper his country this English summer, and sixth this year, when he takes charge of the side for the matches at the Oval on Sept. 23 and 25.
"Graeme Swann is a highly respected member of the England side and his experience and leadership qualities will be invaluable when he leads a young England team next week, a role he is very much looking forward to," national selector Geoff Miller said in a statement on Wednesday.
England added four players to the side who defeated India by six wickets last month, including Yorkshire wicketkeeper Jonathan Bairstow and Hampshire left-arm orthodox spinner Danny Briggs, who have yet to play international cricket.
The other two are strike bowler James Anderson and Durham leg-spinner Scott Borthwick, who made his one-day debut against Ireland last month.
England: Graeme Swann (captain), James Anderson, Jonathan Bairstow, Ravi Bopara, Scott Borthwick, Tim Bresnan, Danny Briggs, Jos Buttler, Jade Dernbach, Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Craig Kieswetter, Samit Patel, Ben Stokes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar