Swann wants Broad in the team for 3rd Test
London: England off-spinner Graeme Swann is convinced it would be a huge mistake to drop Stuart Broad for the third and final Test match against Sri Lanka, as he believes the “nasty” streak in the fast bowler is a crucial factor in the team’s ambition to become the world’s No.1 Test nation.
Swann jumped to Broad’s defence after growing calls from cricket legends like Ian Botham and Michael Holding for Broad to face the axe.
“I’d be amazed if Broady wasn’t picked because he’s one of the best bowlers in the world,” a leading daily quoted Swann, as saying.
“He can be a bit of a bastard when he bowls, but you need that as a fast bowler. I don’t want my fast bowlers to be friendly and happy to bowl half-volleys. I want them to be nasty pieces of work who want to knock people’s heads off.”
“Broad’s a beautiful boy, but he is a nasty piece of work when he has a ball in his hand. Basically, you need that in anybody who bowls fast,” he added.
Broad has taken 105 Test wickets at an average of 35.97.
England is currently 1-0 up in the three-match Test series, and must avoid defeat in the Rose Bowl Test to win their fifth straight series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news