T20 Cricket in 2024 Olympic Games?
London: The Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) World Committee is eyeing the inclusion of Twenty20 cricket at the 2024 Olympic Games, claiming it could lead to a potential boost in the profile of the sport.
Cricket would have to apply to be on the programme for future Olympics, but has got through the first stage of selection having received full Olympic recognition in 2010, the Telegraph reports. The earliest the International Cricket Council can apply to be part of the Olympics is for the 2024 Games.
The MCC World Cricket Committee, which acts as a complementary body to ICC, met in Auckland over the past two days and although they admit it would cost the game financially, feel the positives of being an Olympic sport make up for such losses, the paper reported.
The statement read: "The MCC World Cricket committee appreciates that a great deal of effort may be needed to lobby for the inclusion of cricket in the Olympic Games of 2024."
"The committee accepts that, were cricket to be played in the Olympics, there would be a short-term loss in income for the ICC, and therefore for dispersion to its members, but is impressed with the potential boost for the game worldwide if cricket were to be included," the statement added.
The statement also said: "Furthermore, the committee advocates Twenty20 cricket as the format to be played at the Olympics, thereby providing the ``pinnacle`` of that form of the sport."
International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge has, in the past encouraged the sport to put forward a case for its inclusion, saying they would welcome an application, adding cricket is an important, popular sport and very powerful on television.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?