T20 cricket tournament starts in Sopore
Srinagar: A T-20 cricket tournament, organised by Jammu and Kashmir police, began in north Kashmir`s Sopore town on Sunday.
The tournament, in which 56 teams from Sopore town are participating, was inaugurated by Minister of State for Home Nasir Aslam Wani, a police spokesman said.
Superintendent of Police Sopore Imtiyaz Hussain said the "sole aim" of organising the tournament was to bridge the gap between police and the people.
"This event will provide an opportunity for us to know each other and clear some perceived misconceptions," he said.
Sopore town in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district was made a separate police district several years ago after a surge in militant activities in the town and its adjoining villages.
The town has been a scene of violent protests and has witnessed regular gunbattles between security forces and militants over the years.
The teams will participate in the tournament on knock-out basis, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured