T20 cricket tournament starts in Sopore
Srinagar: A T-20 cricket tournament, organised by Jammu and Kashmir police, began in north Kashmir`s Sopore town on Sunday.
The tournament, in which 56 teams from Sopore town are participating, was inaugurated by Minister of State for Home Nasir Aslam Wani, a police spokesman said.
Superintendent of Police Sopore Imtiyaz Hussain said the "sole aim" of organising the tournament was to bridge the gap between police and the people.
"This event will provide an opportunity for us to know each other and clear some perceived misconceptions," he said.
Sopore town in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district was made a separate police district several years ago after a surge in militant activities in the town and its adjoining villages.
The town has been a scene of violent protests and has witnessed regular gunbattles between security forces and militants over the years.
The teams will participate in the tournament on knock-out basis, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Dr. Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of time management
- China hints at retaliation against US anti-dumping probe
- In home turf in Bihar, Kanhaiya Kumar all praise for Nitish Kumar, Lalu Yadav; slams Modi govt
- Realty firm Godrej Properties buys 49% stake in its arm Happy Highrises
- Paswan mocks possibility of Nitish becoming PM, says post not vacant for 15 years
- Kolkata wears forlorn look on poll day, less traffic on street