T20 cricket tournament starts in Sopore
Srinagar: A T-20 cricket tournament, organised by Jammu and Kashmir police, began in north Kashmir`s Sopore town on Sunday.
The tournament, in which 56 teams from Sopore town are participating, was inaugurated by Minister of State for Home Nasir Aslam Wani, a police spokesman said.
Superintendent of Police Sopore Imtiyaz Hussain said the "sole aim" of organising the tournament was to bridge the gap between police and the people.
"This event will provide an opportunity for us to know each other and clear some perceived misconceptions," he said.
Sopore town in north Kashmir`s Baramulla district was made a separate police district several years ago after a surge in militant activities in the town and its adjoining villages.
The town has been a scene of violent protests and has witnessed regular gunbattles between security forces and militants over the years.
The teams will participate in the tournament on knock-out basis, the spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?