T20 skipper Bailey ready to let go of selector role for `consistency` across formats
Sydney: Australian Twenty20 captain George Bailey has indicated that he is prepared to forgo his role as a selector if new coach Darren Lehmann and Australia`s cricketing hierarchy prefer consistency across all three formats.
Bailey was given a selection vote on his appointment as the national 20-over captain and has also acted in that role for the one-day team when captain Michael Clarke has been injured, such as in June`s ICC Champions Trophy.
However, Bailey`s tenure as a selector has been clouded as a result of Clarke`s decision to relinquish his selection role for the one-day and Test teams, which was announced in conjunction with Mickey Arthur`s sacking as coach.
According to Bailey, it is very important that there is some form of consistency across the three formats and also to respect the recommendations of the Argus review, although he added that there will times when it will still remain appropriate and applicable for the captain to be a selector.
The report further said that Bailey`s belief that he and Cricket Australia`s coaches and executives would `work through that over the next couple of weeks` could indicate a decision could be announced in conjunction with Australia`s squad for the post-Ashes limited-overs series in England.
While Bailey is yet to force his way into Test selection he has developed into a key member of Australia`s limited-overs teams, particularly for one-dayers, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video