Jos Buttler: The new English toast
From the streets of Somerset, to the Emerald Isle, this 22-year old lad from Taunton being touted as the next big thing England has to offer to the cricketing fraternity. This right-handed wicketkeeper batsman started his career playing for Somerset. Very quickly he started notching up big scores which in turn helped Somerset achieve ascendency in the English county circuit.
This swashbuckling aggressor came into limelight in quick time. In two years time, he was given a green signal from the English selectors and was pooled in to finally don the English colours. On the 31st of August 2011, Joseph Charles Buttler made his T20 debut against India at Manchester. He came across as a young lad who had a lot of belief in his abilities. He has played 11 T20 matches, his highest being an unbeaten 32, but that doesn`t provide the clear picture.
Apart from being sound behind the timber, he also has the reputation of clearing any ground at will. He had combined with Kieron Pollard in a very potent fashion in Somerset`s run to Twenty20 Finals Day in both 2010 and 2011, and was called up to England`s T20 squad to face West Indies in September 2011.
Also that month, he impressed in the CB40 final, making 86 from 72 balls in Somerset`s defeat to Surrey. Buttler enjoyed a successful tour with England Lions to Sri Lanka in early 2012, making 262 runs at 87.33. He was then called up to England`s ODI squad for the first time for the series against Pakistan.
Jos has been roped now in for the 2012 T20 World Cup. This surely has to be the biggest stage he has ever been exposed to. England believe he will add a lot of value to the unit and also provide depth in the batting department.
England will be defending their title this year, and they also look to be a formidable unit. So much is being expected of this lad, hope he can come to terms with the conditions, and not get over-awed by the situation. There have been examples in the past, where a lot of promise has gone waste, because of various reasons and Joseph Buttler does not look like a ‘flash in the pan’ case.
England will have their hopes pinned on this 22-year old Somersetian for big things. By the look of thing it seems like “Yeh lambe race ka ghodha hai”, but let’s not count our chickens before they hatch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate