I find myself nowhere near Kallis: Watson
Colombo: Humility is a virtue that champion sportspersons are blessed with and Australian all-rounder Shane Watson is no different as he sees himself "nowhere" when compared to South African great Jacques Kallis.
"When I look at it, I find myself nowhere near Jacques Kallis simply because what he has achieved in all forms of the game," said a modest Watson, who has bagged back-to-back man of the match awards for his all-round efforts against Ireland and West Indies.
"Just in Test cricket to have played over 150 matches (156) and scoring at an average of over 58 (56 plus) and getting more than 250 wickets (280), is something that people just dream of. It is a privilege being out playing in the same era as him."
"He is a world class T20 player and look at the way he has adapted being a world class all-rounder. For me, if he is not the best, he will still be among the best couple to have played the game," added Watson, paying rich tributes to the South African all-rounder.
While Watson has been in ominous form with the bat, it is his ability to break partnerships that has become the talking point in this World Twenty20 so far.
Against Ireland, he got Kevin O`Brien and more importantly dismissed the dangerous Chris Gayle who threatened to take the game away.
"I am trying to execute the simple things like bowling wicket to wicket. Against Gayle, my plan was to bowl as close as possible to his body. I didn`t want to give him any room to swing his arm. Then no ground in the world would seem to be big enough for him. But I am disappointed that I couldn`t execute my plans against Marlon Samuels."
The all-rounder feels that presence of David Warner and Mike Hussey has helped him bat freely.
"The manner in which Warner bats takes a lot of pressure off me. As far as Hussey is concerned, he has shown in IPL how good he is. He never seems to take any risk, yet he scores at a brisk pace. It`s important that the top three in your batting line-up set up a platform," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan