I`ll play chicken with the Aussies, says Irish skipper Trent Johnston
Colombo: The captain of Ireland’s Twenty20 World Cup squad, Trent Johnston, has said he would love to do his famous “Chicken Dance`` at the fall of every Australian wicket during this year’s Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka.
"Hopefully we`ll get to see it again in Sri Lanka - who knows, Mr.(Dave) Warner or Mr.(Shane) Watson might have to look at it, as they`re walking off,`` the former Wollongong seamer grins.
Johnston`s party trick is celebrating wickets by flapping his elbows while jigging from one foot to the other in front of international cricket crowds.
According to a website, this 38-year-old Australian expat who traded in his fading hopes of wearing the Baggy Green to embrace Ireland`s shamrock green has already dished one out to Adam Gilchrist during the 2007 one-day World Cup.
Sure, the Irishmen were only defending 91, and soon after lost by nine wickets in the 13th over, but that still didn`t stop Johnston busting out his disco shuffle.
And, given half a chance this Wednesday night, the former skipper of his adopted nation plans to unleash the poultry polka when Ireland takes on Australia in their opening match of the Twenty20 World Cup in Colombo.
"It all started with me being a young little upstart when I played grade cricket down in Wollongong, where I grew up,`` Johnston said.
"I just went out on the dance floor one night and a couple of the old boys said I danced like a chicken,” he recalled.
"Then, back in 2007, (Ireland teammate) Dave Langford-Smith brought out the `ferret dance``, which is his little party dance. So, I thought if I was lucky enough to get a wicket in the World Cup, maybe I`ll strut a few moves on the cricket field. It certainly has grown legs and kept running. It`s a bit of fun, just a bit of banter,`` he said.
Last week, Ireland was No. 9 in Twenty20 cricket. Australia was 10th.
George Bailey`s men have since just snuck ahead, but cricket`s official ladders say this Twenty20 clash should go down to the wire.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP