ICC T20 World Cup 2012: Australia vs West Indies - Preview
Colombo: Having registered a comprehensive win in their World Twenty20 opener, Australia would aim to seal a Super Eight berth when they take on the flamboyant West Indies in a Group B encounter at the R Premadasa Stadium on Saturday.
However, it won`t be an easy task for George Bailey`s boys as they are up against a formidable Caribbean side which boasts of big-hitting Chris Gayle and mystery spinner Sunil Narine in their ranks.
Led by Shane Watson`s heroics, with both bat and ball, Australia made easy work of an unpredictable Irish side as they cruised to an easy win in the campaign-opener. But come Saturday, the contest is definitely going to be more intense.
The Darren Sammy-led West Indian side has got enough arsenal in its armoury to derail any side.
However, the West Indian batsmen had failed to impress during their first warm-up game against Sri Lanka, in the absence of Gayle, and were scratchy in the second warm-up match against a resilient Afghan side, barring the Jamaican giant.
But that in no way gives Aussies the license to take them lightly.
West Indies` prowess in the shortest format of the game is well known and Australia would undermine them at their own peril.
The Kangaroos, however, can take some heart from their recent performance against the Caribbeans.
They won comprehensively against Sammy`s boys in one of the two T20 games during their recent visit and came close to snatching the second one, losing by just 14 runs.
Australia can be in with a chance in tomorrow`s game as well if their bowlers manage to get the better of West Indies` unsettled opening pair, which really has looked to be the soft belly of Sammy`s brigade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future