ICC T20 World Cup 2012: Mahela Jayawardene hails Ajantha Mendis
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Hambantota: Ajantha Mendis ran through Zimbabwean batting line-up collecting six wickets for just eight runs on Tuesday to help his team register a comprehensive win in the opening match of the ICC T20 World Cup.
Following this, captain Mahela Jayawardene heaped praises on Mendis saying he was happy with his successful return to international cricket.
"I am happy with the way Ajantha bowled," said Jayawardene was quoted as saying by a news agency.
"Even in the domestic tournament he came back and bowled really well. That was the indicator to see how match fit he was and how much control he had."
"Ajantha was very keen to get back into the side and we saw that hunger in him. We wanted to make sure that he went through the processes and get his back sorted out, which is why we kept him away for this long,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- From Olympic glory to jail: Oscar Pistorius' bid to challenge six-year jail term fails
- Piers Morgan TWEETS AGAIN: UK journalist takes credit for PM Modi setting up task force for next three Olympics
- MS Dhoni says it will be an interesting series against `extraordinary` West Indies
- Obama creates world's largest marine reserve in Hawaii
- How malaria supports spread of infectious cancer in Africa