ICC T20 World Cup 2012: Windies will be gunning for Australia, says Fidel Edwards
Colombo: Confident strike bowler Fidel Edwards says the West Indies will be firing from all cylinders in an effort to win their opening game against Australia in the ICC World T20 tournament when both teams meet Saturday.
Edwards, the most experienced bowler in the squad with over a decade at the international level, says victory against the Aussies is the impetus needed to carry his team into the competitive tournament, CMC reports.
The 30-year-old pacer grabbed three wickets in his four overs as the West Indies dominated Afghanistan with an eight-wicket win in a warm-up fixture at the P Sara Oval.
"It`s a big game. If we win that match it would set the standard. The last T20 we played against the Aussies in Barbados we won it and the guys are still confident from that result," Edwards said Tuesday.
"It would be a big plus for us to beat them and get off to a winning start in this tournament," he said.
The West Indies opening match against Australia is at the R Premadasa stadium in Colombo and will be followed Monday with their second game against Ireland.
Opening batsman Chris Gayle, who scored 67 runs in the final warm-up game against Afghanistan, says he was especially impressed with the effort from the bowlers in hot, energy-sapping conditions to restrict the batsmen to a low score.
"We won`t be targeting any one individual... we will be targeting everyone," said Edwards.
"They have a good team and to beat them you need to play total team cricket."
Edwards said he was "up on pace" and was also pleased with that fact that he "used the variations well" in the West Indies victory over Afghanistan.
"It was a good work-out for the bowlers in this match. We are trying to build up to Saturday when we face Australia," Edwards said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!