ICC T20 World Cup: New Zealand vs West Indies – Preview
Pallekele (Sri Lanka): Aware that one more defeat will ensure their exit from the tournament, New Zealand need nothing less than a big win against the West Indies in their make-or-break Super Eight match of the ICC World Twenty20 here on Monday.
Two defeats in a row have brought New Zealand to this position, where there is not scope for error.
However, a mere win will not help the cause of the Kiwis and they will have to win with a big margin and hope that England lose their last match on Monday.
With that result, Sri Lanka will be through to the semifinals and the other three teams -- New Zealand, West Indies and England -- will be equal on two points each.
The net-run-rate then will come into play and the team with better run-rate will advance along with the hosts.
West Indies have a cushion of one win under their belt and one more victory would keep them in the semifinal hunt.
A West Indies victory and England defeat on Monday will push the Caribbean side and the hosts to the semifinals.
The Kiwi batsmen have performed consistently but their bowling has been a cause of concern. Despite making some competitive scores they failed to defend those totals.
The defeat via Eliminator against Sri Lanka in the first Super Eight match came after scoring a very challenging 174 for seven.
West Indies too rely heavily on their batting and it has been a roller-coaster ride for the Caribbean side in the tournament so far. They had done exceedingly well before suffering a crushing nine-wicket defeat on Saturday.
Key for the Kiwis here would be to target the West Indies top order. It happened against Sri Lanka when the explosive Chris Gayle failed to get going and all of West Indies struggled.
Kiwi spinners will also have to play an important role if they aspire to remain alive in the competition.
Brendon McCullum and Gayle are the batsmen to watch out for and their performance will play a crucial role in the fortunes of the two teams.
New Zealand: Ross Taylor (c), Doug Bracewell, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Ronnie Hira, Brendon McCullum, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Adam Milne, Rob Nicol, Jacob Oram, Tim Southee, Daniel Vettori, BJ Watling, Kane Williamson.
West Indies: Darren Sammy (c), Dwayne Bravo, Samuel Badree, Darren Bravo, Johnson Charles, Fidel Edwards, Chris Gayle, Sunil Narine, Kieron Pollard, Denesh Ramdin (wk), Ravi Rampaul, Andre Russell, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India