ICC world cup 2012: Australia on guard against unpredictable Ireland in World T20
Colombo: Languishing at the bottom half of the ranking table, Australia would like to start their World Twenty20 campaign on a positive note when they take on "giant killers" Ireland in their tournament opener here tomorrow.
Australia has so far failed to tame the shortest format of the game and it will be a test of their character when they face William Porterfield-led Irish side, who are well known to spring a few surprises at the big stage.
Though, they have just one victory to their credit against an ICC Full Member side in the T20, their unpredictability can well be gouged by a thumping win over England in the 50-over World Cup last year at Bangalore.
Ireland`s World Cup triumph over Pakistan in 2007 World Cup in the Caribbean is yet another example of their ability to surprise big teams.
The Irish men have won both their warm-up matches in the build up to the championship and interestingly, they were also briefly ahead of Australia on the ranking list earlier this month, something that Kangaroos will be wary of.
Having lost to minnows Zimbabwe in the same championship in 2007 and being bundled out at the group stage in the 2009 edition, Australia will have a tough task at hands on Wednesday.
"I will only rest easy when that game`s (against Ireland) passed," Australia`s coach, Mickey Arthur, said.
"That`s not through fear of failure. They have been a giant-killer and they`re playing with a quite nice bit of freedom. Any team in this competition can win if they have a good day," he added.
Australia warmed-up for the campaign with a comprehensive win over New Zealand, but their nine-run loss to defending champions England in their second warm-up match, courtesy to some wayward bowling from their speedsters, would be a cause of worry for skipper George Bailey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Despite ban, 15 alcohol factories still active in Bihar?
- 7th Pay Commission: How it will benefit central govt employees and pensioners!
- VIDEO: Brett Lee sledged Zaheer Khan while he was batting. What happened next will blow your mind!
- Delhi High Court notice to CBI in Chhota Rajan fake passport case
- Stunning model 'Miss BumBum' uses Instagram to persuade Lionel Messi to reconsider retirement – WATCH pics